Stone age – the beginning of the history of Belarus.
The settlement of the territory of Belarus began 100 thousand years BC. One of the primitive campsites has been found in the village of Yurovichi of the Gomel region.
Polotsk was first mentioned in the ancient Slavonic chronicle the “Tale of bygone years” under the year 862. The city is located as a trading center of Slavic Krivichi traditionally for all ancient Slavic cities in the place where confluence of two rivers-sisters – the Western Dvina and the Polota river. The name comes from the name of the river Polota, which Baltic dialect means “ice, swamp, puddle”.
The first written mention of Pinsk in the Ipatiev chronicle refers to the year 1097. Until the middle of the XII century Pinsk was the city of Turov principalities, since the end of the same century – the center of independent Principality of Pinsk. In the beginning of XIV century the town is part of Grand Duchy of Lithuania. In 1521 the Great Prince on Sigismund I the Old gave the city his wife Queen bona.
History and religion: the spread of Christianity on the territory of Belarus
Unique architectural monument of Boris and Gleb (kolozhskaya) Church in Grodno is the school of architecture and confirms the identity of the Belarusian people. In its planning scheme, the monument is close to grecheskayagrecheskaya school.
The Church of the Annunciation, built in the mid XII in the most significant monument of architecture of the early feudal epoch on the territory of Belarus. The Foundation of the temple is attributed to Princess Olga. The temple is situated on the left Bank of the Western Dvina.
The history of the Grand Duchy of Lithuania in Belarus
The Grand Duchy of Lithuania – one of the most interesting pages in the history of Belarus . It is a medieval Belarusian state emerged in the XIII-XIV centuries, as a result of combining Novogorodok (then known as the Novogrudok ) around the neighbouring ancient principalities of Polotsk, Turov-Pinsk and Smolensk on the economic and cultural basis, as well as land that was inhabited by the tribes of Lithuania, latygol, atasi and others.
Lida castle complex are attracted to this city of Hrodna region a large number of tourists. Magnificent ancient building dominates the entire neighbourhood. In summer people come here to see knights fighting, and in the winter ice skating under the protection of the fortress walls. To make the local attractions even more interesting for visitors and residents of Lida in the winter the courtyard is transformed into a skating rink, rental skates. Time flies fun and quietly.
Calling card Belarus is Mir castle. graceful silhouette which is reproduced on many postcards, calendars and other Belarusian Souvenirs. According to legend a fortress in the village of Mir on the river Miranka existed since time immemorial, and it was built by the mysterious knights. The version of the historians is not so fantastic: in their view, the castle was built by an unknown local craftsman by order of the Brest headman-the court Marshal of the Grand Duchy of Lithuania Yuri Ilinich.
Nesvizhski Palace uncrowned kings of the Grand Duchy of Lithuania Radziwill — a monument of architecture of XVI—XVIII centuries — the original and the only one in the history of Belarus, completely preserved in Europe, an example of the residence of the magnates. Throughout its history the castle was rebuilt and updated. As a result, the architectural complex encompasses the traits of the Renaissance, early and late Baroque, Rococo, classicism, neo-Gothic and art Nouveau.
Rzeczpospolita is one of the stages in Belarusian history
The Commonwealth knew of the brave and wise monarchs — the example of the Stefan Batory Foundation. as well as beautiful, idle and incompetent playboy, such as Stanislaw August Poniatowski.