The Windows were inserted colored glass, depicting saints and scenes from sacred history, legends, emblems and patterns. Glasses these kind of mosaic, made of carved according to the requirements of the pattern pieces, connected together by lead strips.
The inside of Gothic churches in regard to the beauty and sublimity not inferior to their physical appearance. High space ships, visible one after the other, slender pilasters, patterned on triforia, huge Windows with curly weaves — it all makes a big impression. Lancet arc vast arches supported or not on a square massive pillars and pilasters of slender from the bundles of thin columns. Originally the pilasters were thick cylinders made of pieces of stone lying horizontally on each other; but then, for these pieces do not slide one with the other and better endured the pressure of the arches, as well as for beauty, invented to furnish pilasters with thin columns of stone monoliths, in the amount of eight: four, thicker and called “senior service columns” (alte Dienste) were placed crosswise around the pilasters; in the intervals between them were placed four more slim or “Junior service” column ( Junge Dienste). This new form of pillars connects the separate parts under the General column. The introduction of naturalistic interpreted ListView medieval ornamentation is one of the major innovations of Gothic style. Thus the imitation of nature, favoured grass and the kidneys. Continue reading
Mysterious giant stone structure discovered by scientists in the middle East. Thousands of characters similar to famous drawings in the Nazca desert in Peru, stretching from Syria to Saudi Arabia. To see them whole and to assess the extent only from the air.
Ancient structures of stones, called geoglyphs, were first discovered thanks to the latest satellite mapping technology in Jordan.
According to David Kennedy from the University of Western Australia, in Jordan more than in the whole valley of Nazca. “Besides, they cover a much larger area and, apparently, much older,” the scientist said, noting that these geoglyphs at least 2 thousand years.
All buildings have a common design in the form of a circle with spokes, so they are called “wheels”. However, in the parts of the circles having a diameter of from 24 to 70 m, noticeably different.
The wheels are composed of diamond-shaped structures, small stone pyramids and randomly distributed low walls. Some buildings stand alone and others are grouped. In addition, in Saudi Arabia researchers have found a pentagonal design, as well as “wheels” with only two “spokes”. Continue reading
The settlement of the territory of Belarus began 100 thousand years BC. One of the primitive campsites has been found in the village of Yurovichi of the Gomel region.
Polotsk was first mentioned in the ancient Slavonic chronicle the “Tale of bygone years” under the year 862. The city is located as a trading center of Slavic Krivichi traditionally for all ancient Slavic cities in the place where confluence of two rivers-sisters – the Western Dvina and the Polota river. The name comes from the name of the river Polota, which Baltic dialect means “ice, swamp, puddle”.
The first written mention of Pinsk in the Ipatiev chronicle refers to the year 1097. Until the middle of the XII century Pinsk was the city of Turov principalities, since the end of the same century – the center of independent Principality of Pinsk. In the beginning of XIV century the town is part of Grand Duchy of Lithuania. In 1521 the Great Prince on Sigismund I the Old gave the city his wife Queen bona. Continue reading